Chevrolet Equinox Owners Manual
Rear SeatsSeats andRestraints / Rear Seats
Split Folding Seatbacks
Either side of the rear seatback can be folded down for more cargo space.
Folding the Seatbacks
Notice: Folding a rear seat with the safety belts still fastened may cause damage to the seat or the safety belts. Always unbuckle the safety belts and return them to their normal stowed position before folding a rear seat.
To fold the seatback down:
1. Unbuckle the rear safety belts and place the front seatbacks in the upright position.
2. Lift the lever on the top of the seatback.
3. Fold the seatback forward.
The filler panel behind the seat will fold with the seatback to span the gap between the rear of the seat and the cargo area, creating a flat load floor. Do not lift the filler panel.
Keep the seatback in the upright, locked position when not in use.
Raising the Seatbacks
If either seatback is not locked, it could move forward in a sudden stop or crash. That could cause injury to the person sitting there.
Always push and pull on the seatbacks to be sure they are locked.
A safety belt that is improperly routed, not properly attached, or twisted will not provide the protection needed in a crash. The person wearing the belt could be seriously injured. After raising the rear seatback, always check to be sure that the safety belts are properly routed and attached, and are not twisted.
To raise the seatback:
1. Lift the lever on top of the seatback. Raise the seatback and release the
2. Push the seatback rearward until it locks in the upright position.
3. Make sure the rear safety belts are not twisted or caught between the seat cushion and the seatback.
Reclining the Seatbacks
To recline the seatback:
1. Lift and hold the lever on top of the seatback.
2. Tilt the seatback rearward, then release the lever when the seatback is in the desired position.
To slide the entire seat forward or rearward:
1. Lift and hold the release bar under the front of the seat cushion to unlock
2. Slide the seat to the desired position.
3. Release the bar.
4. Try to move the seat back and forth to ensure the seat is locked into place.